Date(s) - 07/07/2020
5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Virtual Café: Official British Values: How credible, relatable and valuable are they?
- Values as a way to define the unique essence and identity
- To what degree are the official British Values considered to be credible, relatable and inspiring?
- What alternatives could there be?
- What are the benefits and disadvantages of having a set of British Values (v universal values or having none and leaving this to individuals)?
We wanted to have this discussion because the events around Covid 19 and Black Lives Matter have helped us all to take stock and ask “what is really important and what do I value?”. We have seen values come to the fore at scale (eg the public services frontline service employees, the BLM protests, the Nightingale volunteers) and at an individual level, whether this be high profile examples like Captain Tom or the thousands of unsung local carers, food deliverers, drivers and others.
We have also heard from people who have differing views about the official British Values of democracy, the rule of law, individual liberty and mutual respect for and tolerance of those with different faiths and beliefs, and for those without faith.
We would therefore like to capture an initial perspective about the official British Values from a cross-section of British society.
There will be a Zoom call on Tuesday 7th July from 5 pm to 6.30p m and welcome as many people as possible to join. Please register here and joining details for Zoom will be sent to you ahead of the event.
The format of the session will be:
- a short introduction to the topic of values as a way to define the unique essence and identity, and a clear objective for what we are looking to achieve (and not achieve) on the call.
- a number of “flash surveys” to provide a collective indicative view about the current official British values and possible alternatives that could be considered
- short subgroup discussions with reporting back to the larger group
- capturing ideas, thoughts and suggestions on the chat facility
- wrap up, sharing the experience and future activity
Follow this link to register for the event. Joining details for the Zoom call will be emailed to all those who have registered prior to the event