What are values?
- Values are the things that are important to us
- They are deeply held principles that guide our choices and behaviours and influence our emotions
- They help define who we are, what we believe and how we live.
Values operate at many levels. Our focus is:
Why are values important to us personally?
For us, they help to provide
- A sense of clarity, authenticity, empowerment, self-control, choice and self-worth
- More meaning to life
- A foundation for effectiveness, happiness, fulfilment and success
- Improved personal, emotional, spiritual and physical wellbeing
- A compass for life, guiding decision-making, communication and behaviour
- A way to keep our behaviours consistent with what we believe to be important
- A means to portray a consistent view to others of who we are
- Enhanced personal and work relationships.
Why are values important to organisations?
For us, they help provide
- Encouragement of appropriate and consistent behaviours in support of the organisation’s purpose
- A consistent, desirable, recognisable and predictable culture
- A clear framework for decision making
- A sense of authenticity and identity that enables customer choice.
…..and deliver beneficial long-term outcomes, such as:
- A more consistent customer experience
- Employee attraction, motivation, fulfilment, loyalty and retention
- Increased productivity and achievement of organisational aims
- Better relationships with all stakeholders
- Improved collaboration and sustainability.
Why are values important to society?
For us they help provide
- A framework for members’ behaviour and interactions
- Happier communities, in which people relate better to each other and focus more on the common good
- A happier and more sustainable society with greater understanding, choice, consistency, openness and collaboration
- Enhanced emotional, spiritual and physical health and wellbeing
- A better alignment between the interests of its members and its government
- An improved balance between the need to serve oneself and others in society.